So, to be blunt, I'm living in a fraternity house for the summer. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm going to be overwhelmed with the male sex or anything. I have a room and a bathroom and my best friend lives across the hall and we basically run the place because the boys are too lazy to. So far, it has been a lot of fun.
Anyway, to the good stuff. Being unemployed has made me gain a real appriciation for raw, fresh fruits and vegetables. Seeing as fruits take a long time to grow, I decided to plant a vegetable garden! I had been growing a cucumber from seed, but that didn't seem like enough for a legit garden. So, off to Lowes I went. I bought some lettuce seeds, a 6" tomato plant, and a 3" bell pepper plant. The garden people told me that peppers wouldn't grow in time so what the heck right?
Next was the hard part. I had to get permission to dig up the backyard for my 5x5 spot. Brian was really cautious until I showed him where and what I wanted to do. I dug it up, planted and watered my little plants. I felt kind of like the little red hen, doing all the work alone. Everyone will be sad by the time harvest comes around because I'm not going to share those tasty vegetables with anyone unless they helped. I figure the hours and $10 I spent initially will pay off near the end of the summer. Right now though, I wish I had so many veggies I didn't know what to do with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment