After the Bozeman trip I got a busy with life and friends and my old boyfriend that I didn't really keep up with the blog. So, here is a recap of the end of summer, beginning of school (but not for me) and the fall time.
Cole and I did a lot of hiking near the end of the summer. We hit the favored trails up Logan Canyon, two of which were Naomi Peak and White Pine Lake. I wasn't feeling so hot the day we did Naomi so we didn't make it to the actual peak. But, it was beautiful because wildflowers were in bloom and the earth was green. You can't really ask for anything else.
During the middle of August AggieBLUE Fall Leadership rolled around. I was a facilitator and worked with 6 up and coming freshman leaders and 1 already leader as well as with my co-facilitator, John. These kids are coming from high school and changing as we see them over the course of two days, as well as throughout their freshman year, but its such a cool experience to be able to show them many opportunities that lie ahead of them in college. I was so excited to work with them and to teach them and share with them my experiences. Bonnie was the only one in my group who wasn't a freshman, but serves as the straight, republican president for the club on campus called L.I.F.E. (Love Is For Everyone). I think that she does a good job as a leader and I'm glad I can call her my friend. She even got me to join L.I.F.E. which is weird, being a minority and a club that is meant for gays, lesbians, transgenders, and bisexuals.
During AggieBLUE I got to work with John. He is a rough outdoors kind of guy from New York. I really liked him and we got along great.
Speaking of John, Labor day rolled around and I wanted to go backpacking before the fall started to come upon Logan, which happens faster than you think it will. So, we went north about 15 minutes and then up into the mountains. We followed the Naomi Peak National Recreation Trail about 3 miles up and camped in a little opening of trees. We had planned on hiking to a little lake but it had gotten dark faster than we had planned on. John made a great dinner and we had to pump water from the stream by where we had hiked. The trail was beautiful and even though we just camped overnight, I had no complaints about how our short trip had gone.
Not a lot happened between the Labor Day holiday and Fall break. I was just working and had become single. I still hung out with Cole here and there. He invited me to go to his hiking class with him a few times so I joined them and peaked Mt. Naomi. I also met one of his students, Kirsten, who is a freshman but I really took to her and we've been friends ever since. So, something good came out of it! I also threw a Chi Omega 'recruitment replacement' party for my sisters. We would usually be together non-stop for a week before school started so I thought a few hours wouldn't be so bad. It was a success and I had a good turnout. I've become quite the entertainer, including Chi Omega parties, Halloween parties and hosting dinner at my house nearly once a week. It's fun and keeps me from getting too lonely or bored while I'm not in school. Kyle, one of my closest friends was in "Mr. USU" which is basically a 'man pageant' which is supposed to be fun and funny performance during homecoming. There were 11 contestants who had to perform talents, show off swimwear and evening wear and had to answer questions. Of all the contestants Kyle won the whole pageant. It was a lot of fun to see him so happy and the show was so entertaining!
My job ended in mid October and I packed up my car and went home. My dad and I attended the NRPA (National Recreation and Parks Association) professional conference in Salt Lake for two days. I met a lot of his colleagues and a few people on my own to network with. We looked around the exhibit hall and I went to classes from how to get an internship or how to interact with my professors. It was a really cool few days and I learned SO much about my field. I also really enjoyed that time with my dad. We talked about all kinds of things, which I don't normally get to do. I learned a lot about him and I hope he learned about me.
The night after we were done at NRPA we headed to St. George to have a short family vacation and do some fun stuff. We stayed in a hotel and on Friday we went into Zion National Park and did some canyoneering. It was my first time, and I thought it was a lot of fun. Something that not a lot of people get to do or even have heard of. Saturday Mark, Caitlin, Chelsie, Me, Mariah, and my mom and dad participated in a triathlon at a sports club in St. George. The women did the mini-tri which measured as a 200 m swim, a 6 mile bike ride and a 1.6 mile run. I did the whole thing in 48 minutes. I was so proud of myself! I loved the rush of the race, especially when I was on my bike, and for the first time in my life I beat Chelsie at something athletic. I hope that next year I can take a step up and do the sprint (its double distances of the mini). Our family all finished, and it was such a cool activity to do with them. I think it was memorable for everybody.
A few things in my life that have been added or taken away include getting involved with Utah State's Government Relations Council and I was appointed the City Council Liaison for USU. I like going to City Council because I learn about things that are going on around Logan and how and what I can do to change the city I live in. I'm coming to realize that city politics are almost more important than national government and it effects me more that I knew. I wish that more people would feel this way though, because they don't know that living could be much easier for them. Also, for being in GRC I got a pretty sweet polo!
I've taken to biking a lot. I think that it makes me take things slower and I get some exersize and to appreciate the beautiful place I live in. It also helps me live a more sustainable lifestyle. I had to get my bike into shape before the triathlon, and there is a service on campus that teaches you how to care for your bike. I learned more about my bike than I really cared about, but hey! knowledge is power.
Those are just some highlights of the past few months. I know that the fun will just keep coming though, so look forward to some more life events worth blogging about!
yay you updated again! i would love to train for a triathalon or half-marathon sometime. you're awesome!
ReplyDelete