WOW! This trip was AMAZING.
We left on Sunday afternoon. Monday we headed into Kolob Canyon, down La Verkin Canyon to sample La Verkin Creek. About an 8-9 mile day. Tuesday we were up at 5:30am and out of this canyon by 9:30. ...



working... ?
La Verkin Creek
We then proceeded to the Zion Visitor Center to double check permits. Then we went to the Grapevine Trailhead. It looked like this from the top. . .
We scrambled down on somewhat of a trail. We scrambled back up this with no trail. . .
A 9-10 mile day.
A 9-10 mile day.
Here is a more detailed account if you're interested . . .
Anyway, my trip into Zion was incredible. I'm so exhausted and I can barely walk but I loved every minute of it. We started at Kolob Canyon bright and early (5:30) on Monday morning and hiked down about 4 miles. Then we split up our crews and Jessie and I scrambled down the canyon to the confluence to take a sample. We ended up doing about 7 miles that day and taking 3 samples. I can't tell you how heavy my pack was with my backpacking stuff and sampling stuff. It was Jessie's first backpacking trip so I kind of had to take the reins. Luckily I was well equip and had a working knowledge of what I was doing.
The next morning we got up about around the same time and hiked out. It was a rough 6 mile climb and we were out before 10 am. We kind of took it easy, stopped at the visitor center and ate lunch then we headed to the Grapevine trailhead. We got to the canyon rim and there was pretty much no trail after that so we scrambled down the wall and up to this really cool spring with a hanging garden to take a sample. Apparently there were some rare damselflies there that we collected. It was so pretty down there, and it really felt like the back country because I don't think normal people ever really go down there. We played in the water and cooled off. We had great weather the first two days - it was overcast but still very warm. We drove up to Kolob Reservoir to stay the night and saw another crew from the lab - really weird. It was nice and cool up there and I was surprised to find out that there is a little village up that road called Kolob.
Wednesday we were up so early again, and headed to the Left Fork Creek (I think?) and Jessie and I did the Left Fork section which is the exit to the subway. Fortunately for anyone who goes to the subway with me, they will have an experienced guide, since the trail isn't too easy to follow. It was still really pretty, even if we were exhausted and the sun was out. We sampled two sites and then crawled up the canyon wall one last time. We waited at the top to meet the other crew, they were two hours late. Apparently Sarah (she is the assistant lab director) dislocated her knee down in the canyon. It was swollen and bruised. I'm glad that wasn't me. Our drive home felt really long, but I'm home now, thankful to have had a shower and in my bed with pillows!
No comments:
Post a Comment