Well, I got an email back, asking for an interview on August 8th and I had to remind myself what the job was (as per usual, luckily I had a system by then). I interviewed with a guy named Wes, the job was at a YMCA camp in the Dallas Fort Worth Area in Texas at a camp called Collin County Adventure Camp. At first I wasn't sold on the job, but the more I spoke with Wes the more interested I became. Wes told me to call my references because they'd be checking in the next few hours. I called Patty and Matt and lo and behold, they had already been contacted. Things were moving fast.
Within the next couple of days I was offered a job. I told them I'd think about it and let them know by Friday. I had about 10 interviews during this week, and most of them seemed promising, but as soon as I was offered the job I knew that it was the right decision. It just felt right. So, I called Wes and let him know I'd be coming. The information started coming and before I knew it I was having a going away dinner with my friends and packing the Geo to the hilt for my road trip across the midwest.
I was around to meet my newborn niece, spend time with my family, get surgery and see my friends before I left. I can't complain. I left on the 23rd of August and planned on arriving on the night of the 24th. It was a loooooong drive. I spend the night in Santa Fe, where I couch surfed with a really cool guy and pretty much had a studio apartment to myself. I would definately couch surf again if I needed to. I also hope to spend more time in Santa Fe. It was a pretty cool city from what I could tell.
The next morning I finally made my way into Texas. The day was sooooo long. I was driving through the most boring part of the state for nearly 10 hours. By the time I saw the sign for McKinney (which is about 30 miles from camp) I was jumping up and down in my seat. The trip took about 25 hours and $140 worth of gas. But, I made it, and that's all the matters!
I had the weekend to rest and get situated (which was perfect) then we started work the coming Monday! It was a whirlwind, but I know this is where I'm supposed to be so I'm making the most of it.
I decided to do a brewery tour on the way there - to split up the driving. It was a great idea.
This is a porter from Ska Brewing
This is a porter from Ska Brewing

By this point I was delirious with boredom and was singing show tunes to myself at the top of my lungs. Luckily I only had about an hour left, or I might have just died out there on the side of the highway.











No comments:
Post a Comment