As I've probably mentioned before, my dad has the best job. This time Mariah and I got to drive up to Alpine, WY to spend a week on the Snake River, rafting with a handful of groups.
First we rafted with my dad's River Rafting students. We launched 4 times in two days. It's exhausting but so much fun. My dad insisted that I guide one of the times. I paid really close attention and thought I was ready for the Snake - I mean I've been up there a lot and feel pretty familiar with the river. Apparently not. I guided my boat through some rapids (no name) and wasn't close enough to the wall on River Right to make a quick turn in order to avoid an eddy. My boat got sucked into a rock called Haircut Rock and it knocked everyone out. Luckily nobody got hurt, we didn't lose any equipment and the only casualties were a couple hats, mine included (I'm actually still sad about it). Needless to say, I let my dad finish and held my place as a strong paddler for the rest of the week.
First we rafted with my dad's River Rafting students. We launched 4 times in two days. It's exhausting but so much fun. My dad insisted that I guide one of the times. I paid really close attention and thought I was ready for the Snake - I mean I've been up there a lot and feel pretty familiar with the river. Apparently not. I guided my boat through some rapids (no name) and wasn't close enough to the wall on River Right to make a quick turn in order to avoid an eddy. My boat got sucked into a rock called Haircut Rock and it knocked everyone out. Luckily nobody got hurt, we didn't lose any equipment and the only casualties were a couple hats, mine included (I'm actually still sad about it). Needless to say, I let my dad finish and held my place as a strong paddler for the rest of the week.

Hanging around camp.
After the students were done my dad drove them back and left Mariah and I to watch the equipment and hangout in Alpine. We ended up riding our bikes and had originally planned on shuttling a ducky with our bikes and making a day of it with a ride and river run. It didn't happen because my parents were weird about it. We totally should have done it - next time. Mariah and I ended up in the Duckies later that week and had a blast!

We also treated ourselves to some Ice Cream at Yankee Doodle in Alpine. Great ice cream and great American atmosphere, as you can see.

Teton National Park
My Aunt, Uncle, Cousin, some of their friends and the United Way group that bought the auctioned river trip showed up on Friday. We did a couple runs with them and then we had the campsite, the rafts and equipment to ourselves. As a family (and friends) we took a drive to Teton National Park and did a hike up to some beautiful waterfalls. It was nice to get out of Alpine for a little while. I love the Tetons.

Look at that intense face. That's real life.
We spent 6 days on the river and I couldn't have been more thrilled. I helped with food and helped my dad develop a 'camp cooking' class, so although I wasn't technically working I was building my skill set and totally enjoying my summer. I hope to see the Snake again next year!




No comments:
Post a Comment