Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Christmas 2011

I headed home for the Holidays just in time for my little sister's birthday.  We went out to lunch at a fun new Mexican restaurant and went bowling later that night. Bowling with my family was... delightful. 
Les and Mariah, bowling

Our tree that we cut down earlier in Dec.


The next day (23rd) is a big day in the Hill home.  We grocery shop for hours and prep as much food as we can for our seven course annual Christmas Eve dinner. This year, I was in charge of the Hors Douvres. 
The Menu:
Red Lentil and Pecan Pate
Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
Baked Brie Bites

Cranberry Cider

Italian Cocktail Meatballs with Herbs and Ricotta

Roasted Chestnut Soup with Thyme Cream

Festive Roast Butternut Salad

Rosemary Dijon Crusted Standing Rib Roast
Phyllo-wrapped Asparagus with Prosciutto
Carmelized Cumin Roasted Carrots
Truffled Pommes Anna

Caramel-Pecan Dequoise 

My mom, dad, sister and I cooked for a couple of days. Our guests arrived in the early evening and we started with hors douvres.  Unfortunately, I was really sick over the holiday so I didn't do much more than sit after dinner got started.  After dinner we have a 'talent show' which includes many poorly performed piano pieces, a story or poem and some random stuff like iphone tricks or singing.  After the talent show, we read the Christmas Story from the Bible and then it's time to open gifts! It's always a really fun time with the family and our special guests.  I love this tradition and can't wait to do it for the years to come.

One of the tables for Christmas Eve Dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment