Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Splitting My Board

This was something that just kind of happened this season. I wasn't planning on getting a ski pass so when Jake mentioned splitting my board, I thought about it and decided "why not?" So, I got the kit back in November sometime and it never snowed so there really was no pressure to get it done.  Finally we got some snow and just decided to go for it a few weeks ago.  Jake had me do pretty much all the steps.  I drew the line, cut the board, applied the epoxy, marked and drilled the holes etc.  I can't say how sad I was the hours after I cut it in half.  It just seemed broken :(.  However, since I've ridden it and climbed with it/skins I realized it's not too much different and a whole lot of fun still! 

Cut line.

After the cut. I may be smiling but I'm not really stoked. 

Letting the epoxy dry

Applying the first hardware.


This is the part where I had to have help, I couldn't get those things in the board. I wasn't strong enough, so Jake hammered them for me.

As you can see, he is very competent

Pretty much the finished product. I'll have to post about the actual touring when I get a picture!

So, this was a cool project and I've gotten a lot of compliments and "ooooh, that's so cool!" It's hard work and the board is heavy with all the hardware.  There are pro's and con's and if you are thinking about the sport, I'd try it first with rental gear and go with someone who is familiar with backcountry!

Here's a little about splitboards: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splitboard or splitboard.com

splitboard is a snowboard that can be separated into two parts. The two parts are used like skis with climbing skins to ascend slopes the same wayalpine touring or telemark skis are used. The two halves can then be connected to form a regular snowboard for descent.[1]
Splitboarding started in the mid-1990s and has grown in popularity in recent years. There has been much innovation that has helped lure new users into the sport, including splitboard specific bindings from companies like Spark R&DVoile-USA and Karakoram. These bindings are designed to reduce the weight associated with the adapter plate/standard binding combination. The reduced weight is crucial in increasing range and duration of extended uphill climbs. The binding's lower foot bed also increases board feel.



Also make sure you order skins!

Now go PLAY!




No comments:

Post a Comment