Pages

Monday, July 2, 2012

The T-shirt Quilt

So as I've mentioned before, college was an incomparable time in my life. It was so fun and filled with so much growth.  But beyond the mushy emotional stuff, there was all the volunteer opportunities and hours that I put into making my experience great and to enhance the lives of students that I was serving. Along with those hours and days of service, came the T-Shirts. Oh, the t-shirts! So, instead of giving them up along with the memories I got when I wore them, I cut them up and started making the coveted t-shirt quilt. 
I started this project over a year ago with some scissors and a faint idea of what kind of finished project I would have liked. This is the middle finished product.  First I had to cut my squares (13"sq.) and my middle fabric pieces (3x13" and 3x3). After some shoddy work and then some process reversing research I realized I'd need to buy some interfacing and iron it onto my t-shirt squares.  After that I could finally start piecing it all together.  


This is my middle finished product. I still need to sew a border and attach the back and batting. It's a slow process for me since I don't have a seamstresses background but I'm proud of myself for having enough knowledge (thank you Grandma M.) and inspiration and interest to finish this project!


Nearly finished product!! 

I stiched around the edge and have been hand sewing the edge. It looks great and feels even better. I love having this literal piece of history to wrap up in!


No comments:

Post a Comment